Esurance Offers New Savings on Car Insurance to Same-Sex Partners in Illinois
San Francisco, CA — July 26, 2011
Esurance, the direct-to-consumer personal car insurance company, today announced that it is offering new car insurance savings to same-sex partners in Illinois.
The state of Illinois' Religious Freedom Protection and Civil Union Act went into effect on June 1, 2011, allowing same-sex couples to enter into civil unions and granting them many rights already afforded married couples. Esurance has responded by offering new savings for Illinois consumers who qualify according to the new Illinois law.*
The car insurance savings could be as much as 10 percent or more, but vary depending on a number of pricing factors such as driving record, accident history, and vehicle.** Illinois consumers who want to take advantage of the savings or get a car insurance quote from Esurance can go to www.esurance.com or call 1-800-ESURANCE (1-800-378-7262).
Esurance also offers similar car insurance savings for same-sex partners in California, Oregon, and Washington, and the company has a long history of support and involvement in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) issues, including:
- Being one of the first car insurance companies in the United States to offer discounts to domestic partners who list on the same policy.
- Donating $50,000 in 2011 to The Trevor Project, the leading organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ youth.
- Promoting and sponsoring Pride events around the country, including Seattle Pride, St. Pete Pride, Gay Days Orlando, and the upcoming Come Out with Pride in Orlando.
- Receiving a perfect score from the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index for the last 4 years.
- Winning a 2011 Bay Area Workplace Diversity Award for supporting equality in the work environment.
- Partnering with LGBT media outlets such as Instinct Magazine and EDGE.
"Esurance is firmly committed to recognizing and supporting diversity for its customers, and offering these savings to Illinois consumers is another measure of those commitments," said Gary Tolman, Esurance president and chief executive officer. "That commitment applies to our work environment as well, where we strive to attract and retain people who reflect our diverse customer base."
* Same-sex couples in a civil union will get a "married" rate when they list on the same policy, which is a lower rate than those previously available to such non-married individuals. This rate applies to two persons of the same or opposite sex who form a civil union as recognized by the Illinois law. Esurance will also honor in-Illinois civil unions, same-sex civil unions, and marriages legally entered into in other jurisdictions.
** According to Esurance's multi-state analysis, 10 percent is the average premium savings realized when couples are rated as "married" rather than "single."
Esurance, a subsidiary of White Mountains Insurance Group, Ltd. (NYSE: WTM), provides personal auto insurance direct to consumers online and through select agents, including sister company, Answer Financial. Esurance is dedicated to constantly improving the way people shop for, buy, and manage their auto insurance. By combining the best of technology with industry know-how, Esurance is able to offer hassle-free coverage with 24/7 customer service and claims handling at competitive prices.
Through Esurance's website, www.esurance.com, customers can get instant car insurance quotes, view comparison quotes, buy an Esurance policy, and print their insurance cards — all in minutes. Esurance also offers policyholders the ability to make policy changes and file claims instantly online, demonstrating its commitment to improving the entire insurance process from quote to claim.
Answer Financial, also a subsidiary of White Mountains, is one of the largest independent personal lines insurance agencies in the country. Answer Financial offers comparison quotes and provides auto and property insurance from more than a dozen top-rated insurance companies through its website, www.answerfinancial.com, and over the phone. In May 2011, White Mountains announced that it signed a definitive
agreement to sell Esurance and Answer Financial to The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL), the nation's largest publicly held personal lines insurer. The transaction is subject to regulatory and other customary closing conditions, including review by antitrust authorities and state regulators and is expected to close in the fall of 2011.