Project Learning Tree & Esurance Announce Grant Recipients
Washington, DC — February 4, 2008
Project Learning Tree (PLT), a national environmental education program sponsored by the American Forest Foundation, and Esurance, the direct-to-consumer personal auto insurance company, announced the 19 recipients of environmental service-learning grants through PLT's GreenWorks! initiative with Esurance today.
The GreenWorks! grants program, founded by PLT in 1992, gives students a chance to apply classroom environmental education to community improvement projects. Esurance partnered with PLT in early 2007 to bring GreenWorks! grants to schools in communities where Esurance associates work and live.
The recipients of the GreenWorks! Esurance Grants were chosen based on several factors, including the incorporation of PLT environmental education materials, high level of engagement with the community, and student leadership of the program. Projects will range from the creation of a xeriscape community garden by ninth-graders to solar energy cooking and education fairs by second-graders. Schools chosen for these GreenWorks! grants are located near Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Sacramento, and Sioux Falls. Esurance associates in these areas will partner with schools to volunteer their time and services when needed.
"Engaging young people in environmental stewardship was at the heart of why Esurance teamed with PLT to provide GreenWorks! grants in the communities where our associates work and live," said Kristin Brewe, Esurance director of brand and public relations. "By fostering a lasting bond between young people and our environment, our communities will benefit for years to come."
"Esurance is helping PLT extend GreenWorks! grants to exciting and worthwhile projects that may not have been able to go forward otherwise," said Kathy McGlauflin, senior vice president of education for the American Forest Foundation. "PLT and Esurance share a commitment to leadership, environmental education, and community participation."
The projects will be completed within the next year and are as follows:
- Chattahoochee High: The Reconstruction of the Historic Gardens at Monticello
- Creekview High School: Strength in Recycling Program
- Spelman College: Green Urban Students Team
- Taylor Road Middle: Front Entrance Beautification Campaign
- Corbell Elementary: Neighborhood Tree Identification Project
- DeGoyler Elementary: Garden of Discovery
- Gunstream Elementary: Environmental Awareness Night
- Sem Elementary: Environmental Education Day
- Basha High: Xeriscape Community Garden
- Higley Unified School District: Student-led Natural World Mentoring Program
- Playa del Rey Elementary: Research Butterfly Garden
- St. John Bosco: Renovation of the Curriculum Garden
Sacramento area (Rocklin)
- Rock Creek Elementary: Wetlands Outdoor Laboratory Project
- Rocklin Elementary: Solar Energy Fair and Composting Project
- Rocklin High: Elementary School Air Quality and Education
- Rocklin Unified School District: Science Super Saturday
- Spring View Middle: Indigenous Plant Landscaping Project
Sioux Falls area
- Outdoor Campus and Lowell Elementary: Urban Garden Cooperative Project
- Woodfield Center School: Community Landscaping Assistance
Esurance, a subsidiary of White Mountains Insurance Group, Ltd. (NYSE: WTM), provides personal auto insurance direct to consumers online and through select online agents. Esurance is dedicated to constantly improving the way people shop for, buy, and manage their auto insurance. By combining the best of technology with industry know-how, Esurance is able to offer hassle-free coverage with 24/7 customer service and claims handling at competitive prices.
Through Esurance's website, www.esurance.com, customers can get instant quotes, view comparison quotes, buy an Esurance policy, and print their proof of insurance card — all in minutes. Esurance also offers policyholders the ability to make policy changes and file claims instantly online, demonstrating its commitment to improving the entire insurance process from quote to claim. Esurance is proud to support our communities through charitable involvement that benefits public health, youth outreach, and the environment.