home > international car insurance > your car insurance in canada

international car insurance

your car insurance in canada

Heading to the Great White North? Find out how your U.S. car insurance travels with you across the border into Canada.

Am I covered by my U.S. policy in Canada?

Generally, yes. As long as you're visiting and not staying permanently, your U.S. auto coverage will travel with you through Canada.

Contact your insurer before your trip to confirm that your coverage goes with you. Your insurer may send you a temporary Canadian insurance card to keep in your glove box.


If you're an Esurance customer planning to cross into Canada, give us a call at 1-800-ESURANCE (1-800-378-7262) to request a Canadian insurance ID card.

Insuring a rental car in Canada

If you tour Canada in a rental car, you'll still have insurance coverage through your U.S. policy. We recommend speaking with one of our licensed agents to help ensure you're covered for whatever the open road throws your way.


What if I'm moving to Canada?

If you're setting up permanent residence in Canada, you'll have to swap your old U.S. policy for shiny, new Canadian car insurance. Luckily, Esurance can make finding great coverage north of the border a snap. If you're an Alberta resident, simply get a free quote directly with Esurance Canada.

Live elsewhere in Canada? Not to worry. You can still start a quote and easily shop for coverage with our trusted partner, Allstate Canada, one of the most reliable names in the business with over 60 years of experience insuring Canadians.

Documents to pack before you drive to Canada

Your U.S. drivers license is valid in Canada, so that's a must. You'll also want to bring your passport to get back into the U.S. And if you're traveling with your child, bring some proof of ID (like a birth certificate) as well as proof of custody forms (if you're divorced and traveling with your child).

Canadian insurance card

Like an intracontinental hall pass, this document assures Canadian authorities that you're an insured tourist with adequate coverage. Your insurer may issue one of these for travel to Canada. Carry it with you, along with your usual proof of insurance, whenever you're driving.

If you're in an accident in Canada

car accident

Even though our northerly neighbors are skilled, courteous drivers (probably), accidents happen. If you're an Esurance customer and have a mishap in Canada, you can handle it in much the same way as you would back home.

First, call the police. Be honest about what happened, and get a copy of the police report. After the police, call us at 1-800-ESURANCE (1-800-378-7262) — yep, even in Canada. We'll walk you through the rest, from filing a claim to finding a repair shop. It's that easy, eh.

Insurance for Canadians

Visit Esurance Canada if you live in Alberta to start shopping for your policy.

We can also help you shop for the right long-term policy elsewhere in Canada through our partner Allstate Canada. Start your quote here.

Conversions in Canada

1 km = 0.62 miles
100 km/hr = 62 mph

For those driving in Quebec

Arrêt = Stop
Cédez le passage = Yield
Entrée Interdite = No entrance


Related links

Prepping your car for winter
Winterize your ride (and your driving habits) if you live in a cold weather area here in the states.

Crossing the Canadian border
The Canada Border Services Agency has tips on what you'll be asked to show and do when headed to Canuck country.

Get your free international insurance quote

Insurance for visitors to Mexico

get a quote

Insurance for residents of Canada

get a quote