house icon

Homeowners insurance coverage. Rest easy.

Quote it. Cover it.

or call 1-866-439-5633

Or call 1-866-439-5633.

Understanding homeowners insurance coverage

Home insurance is about as complicated as they come. But we're here to un-complicate it.

Find out how Esurance can help protect you, your home, your stuff, and even your guests — all in one affordable homeowners policy.

What does homeowners insurance cover?

Homeowners insurance is made up of a bunch of coverages. They protect your home, stand-alone structures (your shed, detached garage, gazebo), and personal belongings. Coverage can even step in if you accidentally damage someone else's property. Or if someone gets hurt on your property and you're held liable.

What homeowners coverage protects you from

A regular homeowners policy is meant to guard your property from the crazy things you don't think about but can … and do … happen. It can help cover damage from:

  • Fires or lightning
  • Windstorm damage
  • Explosions
  • Riots or civil upheavals
  • Aircrafts
  • Vehicles
  • Theft or vandalism
  • Falling objects
  • Weight of ice, snow, or sleet
  • Freezing plumbing, HVACs, or other components

Coverages that come standard on home insurance

When you buy a regular homeowners policy, these coverages come standard on it.

Dwelling protection covers your house (or dwelling) and anything connected to it. That might mean your garage or deck also. How much coverage you buy is up to you. But typically you want enough to rebuild your home if something not-good happens to it.

More on dwelling protection

This insures structures that aren't attached to your home … so tool sheds, fences, carports, and unattached garages. Other structures coverage has a limit of 10% of whatever your dwelling coverage is. But you can increase it as much as you want.

More on other structures protection

If your home's unlivable from a covered incident, this'll help pay for temporary housing, food, and other living accommodations. That way, you can maintain your normal standard of living while away. In most states you'll be covered for up to 12 months. In others, coverage could last for 24. ALE coverage has a limit of 10% of your dwelling coverage. You can increase or decrease it to your liking. Just know that 10% might only cover a few months' living expenses.

More on additional living expense coverage

Water backup coverage helps repair damage from water that comes from the ground up. Think burst pipes or overflowing drains. Depending on your state, coverage can range between $5,000 and $25,000. VERY handy. But note that it's not the same as flood insurance — that's a separate policy.

More on water backup coverage

This covers your stuff inside your home. Personal property coverage has a limit of 60% of your dwelling coverage. But! You can make it as high as 75% or as low as 40%. It also includes 10% coverage for belongings away from your home. To gauge how much you might need, make sure you do a home inventory. Then set your limit to how much it'd cost to replace all your stuff.

More on personal property insurance

If someone's injured on your property and they sue — liability could help cover your legal defense. Same goes if you accidentally damage someone else's property. Personal liability insurance defaults at $100,000. But it's smart to get your assets' worth of coverage. Doing so'll help guard your savings, property, and possessions so they're not at risk in a lawsuit. VERY worth it.

More on family liability protection

If someone's injured on your property, this can help cover medical bills — up to $5,000.

More on guest medical protection

Here's one you never think about … this coverage helps pay for fire department fees if they respond to a call.

Coverages that are optional

These coverages do not come standard on a homeowners policy. But if they're available in your state, you can add them to it. See if any of these sing your tune.

Say your home's damaged. And new building codes require more expensive rebuilding than your homeowners insurance covers. UGH. But luckily, this'd help pay the difference in cost up to your chosen limits. That ranges between 5 and 20% of your dwelling coverage.

More on building codes coverage

This gives you extra protection for those extreme cases when your standard coverage limits fall short. Increased building structure protection is between 20%-40% of your dwelling coverage.

ID theft's no joke. If you're ever a victim, this coverage can step in with a service dedicated to repairing damage to your name and credit. You also get access to your annual credit report and score, help from a dedicated ID theft advisor, AND a monthly credit file monitoring … all for just $3 a month ($4 for 2 people). ID theft coverage offers up to $10,000 for costs incurred while clearing your name.

More on identity theft coverage

Renting out a room? If a covered loss ever makes it unlivable, this add-on helps cover the lost revenue at market value. Fair rental income coverage is the same amount as your ALE coverage (mentioned above).

More on fair rental income protection

If you run a day care at home, this can be a huge lifesaver. It helps cover your liability and others' medical bills if an accident happens and you're held liable. Coverage limits are the same as your family liability coverage.

If you have a 2- to 4-unit building and a tenant is hurt, this can protect your liability. Not only that, it also insures the units themselves. Extended premises offers the same coverage limit as your dwelling coverage.

Find out how surprisingly painless insurance can be

or call 1-866-439-5633

Or speak with a licensed agent at 1-866-439-5633.