Your classic car gets preferential treatment around your garage — shinier wax, rarer parts, even gentler horn-honking. So why would you leave your chrome-swaddled baby vulnerable to the wrong insurance? Check out the types of classic car insurance coverage you can select for your policy.
We partner with Hagerty to give your ride the best protection possible. In addition to standard car insurance coverages, you can add specially designed coverage for your rare beauty.
Guaranteed Value™ coverage
It's no secret many collector cars are worth a pretty penny. That's what makes Hagerty's Guaranteed Value coverage so, well, valuable.
Here's how it works: you can use Hagerty's Valuation Tool to determine your vehicle's true value. Then, if it's ever totaled, that's the amount you get back (minus your deductible, if you have one).
If you want, you can also elect to keep your totaled vehicle (we know how easy it is to get attached). In that case, the amount paid would be reduced by its salvage value.
Instant new purchase coverage
If you buy another classic, you have 30 day automatic coverage for new purchases of stock vehicles valued up to $50,000.
Auto show medical reimbursement
A collector car can go from showpiece to injury risk in a blink. If you like to display yours far and wide, you might consider higher limits for this coverage, which offers up to $10,000 for injuries at car shows or similar events.
Spare parts coverage
Do you live under the hood? Good news: $750 comes standard on your comprehensive coverage for all those spare parts around the garage — even if they're not used on your insured vehicle! You can even increase your limit up to $10,000 (for that pricy vintage engine).
Hagerty Drivers Club™
Hagerty Drivers provides the ultimate experience for people who love cars, featuring state-of-the-art roadside, an award-winning magazine, exclusive automotive discounts, members-only events and experiences and more.
- Hagerty Magazine: an award winning magazine, published six times a year (Hagerty Magazine is only available with a paid membership in the Hagerty Drivers Club).
- Members-Only Events: Exclusive access to over a hundred HDC events per year including automotive seminars, ride & drives, scenic tours, family car shows and more.
- Automotive Discounts: We've partnered with the best of the automotive world to bring you discounts including Coker Tire, Reliable Transport, California Car Cover and more.
- Roadside built for classics: The best roadside service available with professionals who know how to handle special cars. Includes guaranteed flatbed towing and real-time rescue tracking and text notifications.
- Hagerty Carcierge: Experts that can help with virtually any car related question.
- Premium access to Hagerty Valuation Tools: Unlimited access to see accurate and up to date values, full historical pricing and sold transactions, car to car value comparisons and more.
- Membership into the Historical Vehicle Association: The HVA is dedicated to promoting the historical and cultural significance of the automobile and protecting the future of our automotive past.
All membership plans come with the all benefits listed above. Price is dependent on the amount of roadside chosen.
- 1st Gear - up to 15 miles of service, all collector vehicles
- 2nd Gear - up to 60 miles of service, all collector vehicles
- 3rd Gear - up to 150 miles of service, all your household vehicles
- We've introduced payment plans in nearly every state for premiums $300 or more, offering four payment plan options to make paying as easy as possible. We have recurring payment options (monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual). We also accept bank transfers and all four major credit cards (American Express, Discover, Mastercard and Visa).
- Because we specialize in collector car insurance, our premiums are up to 39% lower* than daily driver insurance.
Motorcycle safety equipment coverage
Can't forget the classics on 2 wheels. Insure your motorcycle safety gear — gloves, helmet, etc. — for up to $1,000.
Here are some separate coverages available to help you enjoy (and protect) all the fun parts of car collecting.
Automotive tools coverage
Your tools can mean just as much (and be just as hard to replace) as the parts they're meant for. Add this coverage to protect your tools, toolboxes, storage cabinets, and other accessories.
This helps safeguard just about any collectible or historic items you own, such as gas pump displays, old license plates, hood ornaments, and much more.
Traveling collector coverage
For collectors who take their vehicles on road trips, rallies, or other excursions, this protection can help cover food and shelter (among other things) if you're stranded, a rental vehicle if your car breaks down, and funds to replace personal items.
Vehicle under construction endorsement
That a seemingly worthless clunker can, with a little elbow grease, become a priceless classic is partly what makes collecting such a special hobby. It's also a good reason to consider a vehicle under construction endorsement.
As every turn of the wrench adds value to your ride, this endorsement helps your coverage keep up, increasing your Guaranteed Value coverage each quarter.
A standard daily driver policy that includes comprehensive and collision coverage generally gives you 3 options for total loss protection: market value, agreed value, and total loss replacement/purchase price. Each of these determines the amount you'll receive in the event of a total loss.
A base policy that pays you the actual cash value of your car at the time of its loss. It factors in depreciation, wear and tear, etc.
Pays an amount you define when you purchase your policy, regardless of the current value of your car at the time it is totaled.
Total loss replacement/purchase price
Pays for the replacement of your totaled car with a current-year model if your car is totaled within 5 years of its manufacture. If your car is more than 5 years old at the time it is totaled, you will receive the original purchase price.
Esurance's partner cuts through the clutter to offer one total loss protection option — the one most suited to collector car owners. If you choose Hagerty's Guaranteed Value™ coverage, you'll get the amount you declared as your vehicle's value when you bought coverage. In other words, you'll get what your car was worth.
Of course, you may decide to keep your vehicle after a covered total loss. In that case, the amount paid would be reduced by its salvage value.