get a new jersey car insurance quote from esurance
Bundle your New Jersey auto insurance with Esurance home insurance to score our Multi-Policy discount.*
affordable new jersey car insurance
With its bustling shoreline and easy access to New York City (not to mention the best diners in the nation), New Jersey is a top-notch place to call home. Which is why it can be expensive to live there. But one way to cut down on high monthly costs in the Garden State is to find affordable car insurance.
Cue Esurance — with top-notch coverages and competitive discounts — including 15 percent off your auto insurance when you combine it with a homeowners policy from Esurance. Plus, our DriveSense® mobile app helps safe drivers earn even more savings by monitoring driving habits. Just by downloading the app, you could earn up to a 10-percent participation discount right off the bat!**
New Jersey is a no-fault state. Meaning that, while New Jersey drivers must carry auto insurance — including liability, personal injury protection (PIP), and underinsured motorist protection — your post-accident medical expenses could be covered by your own insurer regardless of who caused the crash. Esurance can help you find a policy that meets New Jersey insurance laws while also providing affordable, comprehensive car insurance for every scenario.
Need help choosing coverages? Visit the Esurance Coverage Counselor® to find a policy that fits your needs, while still meeting New Jersey insurance laws. Then compare car insurance quotes in New Jersey with an easy online quote.
"Best of Service"
"The customer staff are very caring. They answer questions promptly and have helped in all my inquiries."
— Linda K.
"Beat all other pricing while not making me sacrifice my personalized coverage."
— Douglas F.
new jersey car insurance discounts from esurance
You know the old saying: The littler the state, the bigger the car insurance discounts (trust us, that's a saying).
When you get a New Jersey auto insurance quote from Esurance, you may qualify for some of these discounts built to save drivers some cash:
- Fast 5® discount
- Homeowners discount
- Multi-Car discount
- Paid-in-Full discount
- Claim-Free discount
- Switch & Save® discount
- Defensive Driver discount
- Good Student discount
- Anti-Theft discount
- Multi-Policy discount
Esurance Renters Plus® discount**
The Renters Plus discount is one of our neatest New Jersey car insurance discounts (not to mention one of the simplest). Just by adding renters coverage to your car insurance policy, you could qualify for savings on your auto insurance rates.
Having renters coverage is also the best way to protect your valuables from theft and damage (talk about a win-win).
required new jersey car insurance coverages
A policy in the Garden State must have certain coverages with at least the following limits:
- $15,000 of bodily injury liability per person, $30,000 per incident
- $5,000 of property damage liability coverage per incident
- $15,000 of personal injury protection (PIP) per person
- $15,000/$30,000 of uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage per person, per incident
- $5,000 of uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage coverage per incident
New Jersey no-fault insurance
New Jersey is a no-fault state, which means that your post-accident medical expenses could be be covered by your own insurer regardless of who caused the crash.
New Jersey PIP
Personal injury protection helps cover your injury bills after an accident, regardless of fault. All versions of New Jersey PIP include medical coverage, either as your primary or secondary coverage (depending on whether your health insurance plan helps pay for injuries related to a car accident).
- If you choose full PIP primary, your PIP acts as the primary coverage for accident-related injuries to you and your passengers. Full PIP primary includes income continuation (in case you can't work after an accident), funeral expenses, death benefits, and essential services expenses. The last part can help pay for household tasks if you can't complete them due to an accident-related injury.
- Full PIP health primary is just like the above, only your health insurance acts as the primary coverage for accident-related injuries. In this case, your PIP would kick in after your health insurance limits have been maxed out.
- Medical only PIP primary doesn't include income continuation, funeral expenses, death benefits, or essential services expenses, but can still help with hospital bills after an accident
- Medical only health primary is like the above, only your health insurance plan will act as the primary provider to help cover accident-related medical expenses.
Right to sue
With a standard New Jersey no fault policy, you'll make a choice that defines your right to sue for damages if you (or your spouse or family member who lives with you) are injured in a car accident that you didn't cause.
- Limited right to sue means you can sue only if the injury is extreme and matches certain criteria (including death, disfigurement, or loss of a body part).
- Unlimited right to sue is just that: unlimited. So you can sue the at-fault driver after any injury, no matter the severity. Choosing the unlimited right to sue makes your policy a bit more expensive.
It's worth noting that these options don't affect medical expenses, which, again, are typically covered through your New Jersey PIP. The right to sue is for non-monetary damage (i.e. pain and suffering).
On top of state-required liability insurance, we offer all these additional coverages to help give you greater financial protection and peace of mind:
- Towing and labor
- CarMatch Rental Coverage®
- Custom parts and equipment
- Auto loan/lease (or "gap")
- Extended medical
- Additional personal injury protection (APIP)
When you get an Esurance quote, our CoverageMyWay® technology prioritizes coverage options based on the info you provide. It's one more way we strive to make the auto insurance process a little smarter
Inspecting your car if you add comprehensive coverage
If your car is 7 years old or newer and you add comprehensive coverage, New Jersey law requires you to have your vehicle inspected within 7 days of adding the coverage.
Find an inspection station using this handy tool from CARCO.
car repair shops throughout new jersey
If you use Esurance for your New Jersey auto insurance (or are involved in a claim with Esurance), you can take your car to our E-Star® repair shops that feature RepairView® online repair monitoring. These shops also feature guaranteed repairs for as long you own your car.
factors that can impact your car insurance rates
On top of the selections you make (coverages, limits, and deductibles), these factors could also affect your car insurance rates in New Jersey:
- Driving record and claims history
- Vehicle year, make, and model
- ZIP Code where you park your car
- Marital status and gender
- Age and number of years licensed
- Your annual mileage
- Credit-based insurance score
- Any discounts you may qualify for
new jersey’s rules on electronic proof of insurance
Accidentally breeze through that toll station on the Turnpike? Fret not! Garden State residents are allowed to pull up digital proof of insurance on their smart phones, tablets, or other devices if they get pulled over.
And with Esurance's mobile app, you won't have to worry about those pesky paper cards anymore — you'll be able to access electronic ID cards (and so much more!) 24/7.
5 reasons to carpool
Check out carpooling stats across the U.S. and learn 5 good reasons to join a ridesharing group yourself.
Esurance Coverage Counselor®
We offer personalized New Jersey car insurance quotes that take just a few minutes.