types of car insurance coverage


One of the most important (and trickiest) parts of buying car insurance is deciding what types of coverage to get. Check out the number of ways an Esurance policy can help protect you and your car below — and let CoverageMyWay® help you personalize your coverage options.

Reliable car insurance coverages provide peace of mind

coverage options for your policy

Generally speaking, auto coverages break down into 3 distinct categories: liability, vehicle-based, and medical. While some are required and some are optional, all are extremely valuable protections that can help financially safeguard you. Here are the main types of auto insurance coverage you can choose when you get a quote.

Medical coverages for drivers

Medical coverages are designed to pay for the medical care of you and your passengers after an accident.

Medical payments coverage

Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage

Coverages that protect your vehicle

When your car stops running, so does your daily routine. That's why Esurance offers a slew of vehicle-based coverage options designed to help get your car or truck back on the road after an accident.

Comprehensive coverage

Collision coverage

Emergency roadside service (ERS) coverage

Rental car coverage

Loan/lease gap coverage

Customized parts and equipment coverage

Liability coverages

Liability is a type of car insurance coverage that's legally required in most states. It pays for damaged property, medical care, and lost wages for other drivers and passengers if you're found at fault in an accident.

As liability coverage is required in nearly all states, so, too, are the coverage limits that come with it. Each state sets its own minimum limits (minimum maximums) that drivers must maintain on their car insurance policies. These minimums are typically expressed in a 3-tier system: 25/50/15, for example. These numbers mean the following:

  • 25 – The maximum amount (in thousands) the insurer will contribute toward injury-related expenses per person
  • 50 – The total amount the insurer will contribute toward injury-related expenses per incident
  • 15 – The max amount the insurer will pay for property damage for each incident

When you buy your policy, you won't be able to select limits below your state's legal requirements. But you can always set limits that are higher.

Liability coverage generally breaks down into 2 main categories: bodily injury and property damage.

Bodily injury (BI) and property damage (PD) liability coverage

Liability coverage in no-fault states

Uninsured/underinsured motorist liability

Wonder if you could be saving on car insurance?

Get your free quote online.

Or call 1-800-378-7262.

More about car insurance

What our customers say

customer review quotation

Everyone I spoke with at Esurance was excellent to work with. They were helpful and efficient every step of the way. I have recommended Esurance to a lot of people lately."

— Denise, Illinois

Esurance reviews and ratings >

Looking for another insurance product?