Your home's appliances are the epitome of modern convenience — assuming they're functioning properly. Whether your stovetop needs replacing after a fire or your washing machine is slowly going kaput, find out how your homeowners insurance could help.
Though we may sometimes take them for granted, the appliances in our homes are relatively large monetary investments that make our lives a little bit simpler — from refrigerators and ovens, to washing machines and dishwashers.
Fortunately, the average homeowners insurance policy could help repair or replace damaged or destroyed appliances after covered incidents like a windstorm, fire, or lightning. And if you're an Esurance policyholder, you could also get up to $500 worth of coverage for any food spoiled by an extended power outage.
The incidents that your home's appliances are covered against can vary from policy to policy. Be sure to speak with your insurer about your specific policy protections. You can speak with an Esurance agent at 1-800-ESURANCE (1-800-378-7262). We're available to answer any of your questions at these times.
when your appliances aren’t covered
If you've known for a while that certain appliances were about to kick the bucket — and then they do — there's a good chance you'll be responsible for covering the repair or replacement costs. That's because the vast majority of home insurers won't cover general wear-and-tear or any negligence on your behalf. Keeping your appliances well-maintained is typically considered your responsibility as a homeowner.
It's also important to note that some insurance companies won't pay for damage to your home's appliances caused by power surges, unless the power surge is caused by lightning. Esurance, on the other hand, will typically help pay to repair appliance damage caused by power surges — regardless of whether the surge was the result of lightning. How's that for peace of mind?
how to help prevent damage to your home's appliances
You might be surprised by how much some very basic maintenance can make an important difference in the safety and longevity of your home's appliances. Here are some pointers to help prevent damage to your appliances.
- Regularly clean the filters inside your washer, dryer, and dishwasher.
- If you spill something on your appliances, wipe it up immediately to help prevent buildup.
- Don't store food or other items on top of your refrigerator — it needs airflow all the way around it.
- You may have noticed the "clean washer" button on your washing machine. Running this setting on a regular basis deep-cleans your washer (and your dryer too, if it has a similar setting) and helps keep it running properly.
- Wipe down the rubber gaskets that seal your appliances' doors. It's a good idea to check your fridge once a year to make sure its gaskets don't need replacing.
- Make sure you don't overfill your washing machine with laundry.
- Try to leave your refrigerator door closed as much as possible, since leaving it open lets out cold air and forces it to work harder to stay cool.
- Check your clothing's pockets for change and other items before putting it in the washer or dryer.
get reliable, affordable homeowners insurance from esurance
In addition to top-notch coverage for your home's appliances, Esurance offers a wealth of perks to our policyholders — including 24/7 claims service and homeowners policies built to save you time, money, and hassle. From a large suite of coverages to a bunch of cash-saving discounts, we've got your back with affordable insurance you can count on.
We're confident you'll see why Esurance is the smart choice as soon as you get your quick, free homeowners insurance quote online, or by giving us a ring at 1-866-439-5633.
Does homeowners insurance cover burst pipes?
Learn more about how your homeowners policy may be able to help if you experience damage from burst pipes.
Does homeowners insurance cover broken AC units?
See how most home insurers handle claims regarding broken AC units.
More about homeowners insurance
Looking for another insurance product?