car insurance for military personnel

As a way of saying thanks, service members can cancel and reinstate their policy with no fees.

Or call 1-800-378-7262.

Members of the military called to active duty have a number of loose ends to deal with before deployment. Car insurance doesn't need to be one of them.

We'll help you figure out how to handle your car insurance if you're heading abroad or moving to a new state.

handling overseas military deployments

Esurance lets military personnel easily cancel and then reinstate their car insurance policies without the typical change in rates that results from a gap in coverage.

  • Canceling car insurance: If you're leaving your car behind and don't expect to drive it in the near future, send an email to or call us at 1-800-ESURANCE (1-800-378-7262). Let us know that you need to cancel your coverage because of an upcoming deployment and when you'd like your coverage to end. We'll take it from there. Because you're canceling for deployment, we'll waive all cancellation fees.
  • Reinstating car insurance: Once you're home and ready to start driving again, we can help you get your previous coverage back. We'll ask for a letter from your commanding officer that lists your dates of deployment and verifies that you haven't driven any civilian vehicles in the U.S. during that period.

So long as you inform Esurance of your deployment beforehand and let us know when you're ready to reinstate your policy, your time away will not count as a potentially costly gap in insurance coverage.

One thing to consider: if you'll drive your car from time to time, while on leave for example, it may be worth keeping your car insurance policy intact so you don't risk driving uninsured.

what to do with your unregistered, uninsured car

Once you have your car insurance taken care of, you may need to work with your licensing authority to take care of your car's status.

Affidavit of non-use

After canceling or suspending your insurance, get an affidavit of non-use from your state licensing authority (DMV). The affidavit allows drivers to legally own an uninsured vehicle.

Parking an unregistered car

Even with an affidavit of non-use, your car can't legally park in public streets — even if the street is in front of your house. Make sure it's safely parked in a private driveway, garage, or storage facility.

Contact your state licensing agency

Most states have special provisions to help military personnel keep their motor vehicle affairs in order while on deployment. Contact your local DMV for more information to make sure your license and registration don't expire while you're away.

handling military reassignments within the country

If you're transferred to a different ZIP Code or state, contact us as soon as you're settled in your new home. We'll update your policy in no time.

If you're reassigned to a state where we don't currently underwrite car insurance, we'll help you find a new policy with a reliable company. Give us a call at 1-800-ESURANCE (1-800-378-7262) to compare car insurance quotes. If you find a policy you like, we'll help you buy it.

removing a relocated driver from your policy

If a family member on your car insurance policy is deployed or reassigned and you're staying home, you can temporarily remove the driver from your policy.

As soon as the relocated driver returns, let us know and we'll help you add him or her back onto your policy.

whether you’re deployed or reassigned

We're here to help. As a way to say thanks to our country's service members, Esurance makes it easy to cancel and reinstate a car insurance policy with no fees or rate penalties.

If you have any questions on handling your car insurance during a deployment or reassignment or if you need a new quote, call us at 1-800-ESURANCE (1-800-378-7262).

Moving and car insurance
Service members will find it easy to cancel and reinstate their policies if they're deployed or reassigned. However, moving to a new ZIP Code can still affect their rates in a number of ways. Find out how.

Get your free quote online

or call 1-800-378-7262