new jersey car insurance
We offer car insurance in New Jersey, which means we've mastered the slightly complex ins and outs for drivers in the Garden State. We hope you find this guide helpful.
Car insurance in New Jersey
Basic vs. standard policies in New Jersey
New Jersey drivers are required to choose between 2 types of car insurance policies: basic and standard.
A basic insurance policy, which is typically less expensive, meets the state's minimum coverage requirements. With the basic policy you get:
- $5,000 property damage liability coverage per incident
- $15,000 personal injury protection (PIP) per person for each incident
Bodily injury liability coverage of up to $10,000 per person can be added as an option. With the basic policy, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage isn't available.
A standard car insurance policy tends to be more expensive than the basic policy, but it provides more coverage because bodily injury is included. A standard policy's minimum limits include:
- $5,000 property damage liability coverage per incident
- $15,000 PIP coverage per person
- $15,000 bodily injury liability per person, $30,000 per incident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage up to your selected liability coverage limits
PIP coverage in New Jersey
New Jersey is a no-fault state, which means that your post-accident medical expenses will be covered by your own insurer regardless of who caused the crash.
All versions of New Jersey PIP coverage include medical coverage, either as your primary or secondary coverage depending on your health insurance plan.
- If you choose full PIP primary coverage, your PIP acts as the primary coverage for accident-related injuries to you and your passengers. Full PIP primary includes income continuation (in case you can't work after an accident), funeral expenses, death benefits, and essential services expenses. The last part can help the injured person pay for household tasks after an injury.
- Full PIP health primary is just like the above, only your health insurance acts as the primary coverage for accident-related injuries. In this case, your PIP coverage would kick in after your health insurance.
- Medical only PIP primary doesn't include income continuation, funeral expenses, death benefits, or essential services expenses.
- Medical only health primary is like the above, only your health insurance plan will act as the primary provider to help cover accident-related medical expenses.
Right to sue (on standard policies only)
With a standard car insurance policy in New Jersey, you'll make a choice that defines your right to sue for damages if you (or your spouse or family member who lives with you) are injured in a car accident that you didn't cause.
- Limited right to sue means you can sue only if the injury is extreme and matches certain criteria (including death, disfigurement, or loss of a body part).
- Unlimited right to sue is just that: unlimited. So you can sue the at-fault driver after any injury, no matter the severity. Choosing the unlimited right to sue makes your policy a bit more expensive.
It's worth noting that these options don't affect medical expenses, which are typically covered through your policy's PIP coverage. The right to sue is for non-monetary damage (pain and suffering).
Financial protection from uninsured drivers
In 2009, 11 percent of New Jersey drivers were uninsured.
Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage, which can help pay for medical expenses if the at-fault driver doesn't have the right amount of coverage or has no car insurance, is required in New Jersey if you have a standard policy. You can set coverage limits as high as your liability limits.
No proof of car insurance
Carrying your proof of insurance at all times is legally required in New Jersey. If you're caught driving without proof of insurance, you can be fined.
Factors that can impact what you pay for your policy
On top of the selections you make (basic vs. standard, unlimited vs. limited right to sue, coverages, limits, and deductibles) when you create your NJ insurance policy, these factors can also affect your rate:
- Driving record
- Vehicle type
- ZIP Code
- Marital status
- Your annual mileage
- Credit-based insurance score
Inspecting your car if you add comprehensive coverage
If your car is 7 years old or newer and you add comprehensive coverage to your car insurance policy, New Jersey law requires you to have your vehicle inspected within 7 days of adding the coverage.
You can find an inspection station using this handy tool from CARCO.
Esurance in New Jersey
Esurance started offering car insurance to NJ drivers back in 2005.
Optional car insurance coverages on a standard policy in New Jersey
- Comprehensive coverage
- Collision coverage
- Towing and labor coverage
- Rental car coverage
- Custom parts and equipment coverage
- Auto loan and lease coverage
- Extended medical coverage
- Additional personal injury protection (APIP) coverage
Esurance discounts offered in New Jersey
When you get a quote from Esurance, you may qualify for some of these big discounts:
- Fast 5® discount (for starting your quote online)
- Homeowners discount
- Multi-Car discount
- Paid-in-Full discount
- Claim-Free discount
- Switch & Save® discount
- Defensive Driver discount
- Good Student discount
- Anti-Theft discount
- VIN Etching discount
Discounts are subject to eligibility. If you're a current Esurance policyholder and have questions about your discounts, give us a call at 1-800-ESURANCE (1-800-378-7262).
Esurance Renters Plus™ discount in New Jersey
Add renters coverage to your car insurance policy and you could qualify for our Renters Plus discount. It's an easy way to protect your valuables and your car on one policy and save.
Car repair shops throughout New Jersey
If you're an Esurance customer (or involved in a claim with Esurance), you can take your car to certain repair shops that feature RepairView® online repair monitoring. These shops also feature guaranteed repairs for as long you own your car.
Find a body shop near you.
New Jersey driver info
Stats, facts, and laws that can impact NJ drivers.
We can give you a customized recommendation on how to build your NJ car insurance policy in just a few minutes.