home > learning center > faq > rv insurance > managing

frequently asked questions

managing your rv insurance coverage

Whether you're looking to tailor-make a brand-new policy or need to add some new options to an existing one, this section will answer all your questions.



International RV coverage


What coverage is required on my RV insurance policy?

That depends on 2 factors: the insurance regulations in your state, and what you intend to use your RV for.

For example, if you only use your RV on vacations and trips, then you'll need the same coverage any driver needs, including bodily injury and property damage liability coverage, plus comprehensive and collision coverage. And when you include comprehensive and collision, you'll also receive vacation liability coverage up to $10,000.

According to the Insurance Information Institute, the following states currently require either or both uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage:

  • Connecticut
  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Virginia
  • Utah
  • Wisconsin
Back to top

I live in my RV. What RV insurance do I need?

Full-timers — those who live in their RVs — must purchase a full-timer's package, which includes coverages similar to those in a homeowners policy. The full-timer's package covers personal liability, medical payments to others, loss assessment, and storage shed contents.

  • Full-timer's personal liability — up to $500,000 combined single-limit coverage
  • Full-timer's medical payments to others — up to $50,000 for others' medical expenses of others injured on your property
  • Full-timer's loss assessment — up to $5,000 coverage for certain assessments
  • Storage shed contents — up to $5,000 coverage for contents located in a shed owned, leased, or rented by the insured at the time of loss
Back to top


What other RV insurance coverage options will I have?

When you purchase RV insurance through Esurance, you'll be able to add any of the following coverage options:

  • Roadside assistance
  • Emergency expense
  • Replacement cost of personal effects
  • Vacation liability
  • Mexico physical damage
  • Trailer
  • Fire department service charge
  • Full-timer's package
  • Deluxe package
Back to top

Will my RV insurance help if my recreational vehicle becomes uninhabitable or inoperable?

Your comprehensive and collision coverages come with $750 of emergency expense coverage automatically.

Pleasure users will be able to use this to cover temporary living expenses, transportation, and returning the RV if it's disabled due to a covered loss more than 50 miles from home. You can also purchase up to $2,000 of additional emergency expense coverage.

Full-time RV users can also use their emergency expense funds for temporary residence and transportation costs, and they have the option of purchasing as much as $7,500 of this coverage.

Back to top

Someone broke into my RV and stole just about everything that wasn't bolted down. Will my RV insurance policy cover that?

If you have comprehensive coverage, yes. This coverage can help you pay for the replacement of all sorts of possessions commonly used or stored in an RV, including clothes, cameras and camera equipment, portable media players, TVs, and even travel tickets and passports. You can also cover certain items outside of the RV.

You can extend this coverage up to $99,000. The default deductible for this coverage is $100.

Back to top

I take my pets on the road with me. Can I extend my RV insurance policy to protect them too?

Esurance's partners recognize that your pets mean a lot to you. Comprehensive and collision coverage offered through Esurance provides up to $1,000 to help you cover the costs of veterinary bills and medicine.

We also offer pet insurance through Petplan.

Back to top

I usually tow a utility trailer when I'm on vacation. Will my RV insurance policy cover it too?

If you purchased comprehensive and collision coverage, you've got $2,500 of collision coverage for your utility trailer already. This coverage will help you pay for repair of parts damaged during use with your RV.

You can increase this coverage by as much as $17,500.

Back to top

What are the differences between market value, agreed value, and total loss replacement/purchase price RV insurance coverages?

Market value is a base policy that pays you the actual cash value of your RV at the time of its loss.

Agreed value pays an amount you define when you purchase your policy, regardless of the current value of your RV at the time it's totaled.

Finally, total loss replacement/purchase price pays for the replacement of your totaled RV with a current-year model if your RV is totaled within 5 years of its manufacture. If your RV is more than 5 years old at the time it's totaled, you'll receive the original purchase price.

Back to top

International RV coverage

Will my RV insurance policy protect me in Mexico?

If you're a frequent visitor of Mexico, you'll want to purchase Mexican liability coverage from a licensed Mexican insurance company. Once you've done that, your comprehensive and collision coverage will extend to the physical damage portion of your RV insurance policy to cover losses in Mexico.

In the event of such a loss, your RV will be towed to the nearest qualified repair facility in the U.S.

Back to top

Does my RV insurance policy cover roadside assistance in Canada?

If you purchased roadside assistance coverage, it will protect you wherever you travel throughout the United States and Canada. You can request roadside assistance 24/7, and it provides towing to the nearest qualified repair facility. It also covers labor performed at the site for any of the following:

  • Mechanical or electrical breakdown
  • Battery failure
  • Insufficient fuel, oil, water, or other fluid supply
  • Flat tire
  • Lockout
  • Entrapment in snow, mud, water, or sand within 100 feet of the roadway

You'll pay nothing out of pocket for this service, which also extends to cover any trailers or vehicles your RV is towing, even if another insurance provider covers them.

Back to top

Have more coverage questions? We'll be happy to answer them via email or our Facebook Wall.

This page is intended to provide you with general information about RV insurance, and to help you understand the various kinds of coverage. It does not describe or refer to any specific policy or coverage. For information about your particular coverages, including limitations and exclusions, we encourage you to read your policy contract and consult your insurance representative with any questions.