home > learning center > faq > collector car insurance > managing

frequently asked questions

managing your collector car insurance

You should find this info handy whether you're modifying an existing policy or building new coverage from the ground up.

Essential coverages

Coverage options


Essential coverages

What does a collector car insurance policy through Esurance provide?

We've partnered with Hagerty to provide you with high-quality coverage at an affordable price, not to mention the freedom to enjoy your collectible as much as you want with no fixed mileage limits. Whether you own a vintage 4-door or a modern street-rod, your collector car insurance comes with all the standard coverage you'd get on an auto policy, as well as a variety of options tailored to collectors' unique needs.

Plus you'll get a few valuable extras:

  • Instant new purchase coverage — Buy a new collector or classic car and you'll get 30 days of up to $50,000 coverage on your existing policy.
  • Motorcycle safety equipment coverage — This covers as much as $1,000 of motorcycle safety apparel.
  • Spare parts coverage — Your policy automatically includes $750 of comprehensive coverage for spare parts, and you can increase that to as much as $10,000.
  • Auto show medical reimbursement* — If you or a family member is injured at a car show or similar function you'll get up to $10,000 to cover medical payments.

*This coverage isn't included in all states.

Back to top

What total-loss coverages are available?

A standard policy that includes comprehensive and collision coverage generally gives you 3 options for total loss protection: market value, agreed value, and total loss replacement/purchase price. Each of these determines the amount you'll receive in the event of a total loss:

  • Market value is a base policy that pays you the actual cash value of your car at the time of its loss. It factors in depreciation, wear and tear, etc.
  • Agreed value pays an amount you define when you purchase your policy, regardless of the current value of your car at the time it is totaled.
  • Finally, total loss replacement/purchase price pays for the replacement of your totaled car with a current-year model if your car is totaled within 5 years of its manufacture. If your car is more than 5 years old at the time it is totaled, you will receive the original purchase price.

Esurance's partner cuts through the clutter to offer one total loss protection option — the one most suited to collector car owners. If you choose Hagerty's $0 deductible guaranteed value coverage, you'll get the amount you declared as your vehicle's value when you bought coverage. In other words, you'll get what your car was worth.

Of course, you may decide to keep your vehicle after a covered total loss. In that case, the amount paid would be reduced by its salvage value.

Back to top

What deductible levels can I select?

In general, our partner, Hagerty, offers a $0 deductible on all coverages, meaning that you pay nothing out of pocket when you file a claim (so long as the damages involved don't exceed your limits). Other options may be available depending on your state of residence and the vehicle type you insure.

You'll see all the available deductible options when you get your quote online.

Back to top

Coverage options

I prefer to do my own repairs. Does my policy allow me to do that?

Yes. We recognize that you might prefer to do the repairs yourself, so claims reimbursements can be directed to you.

Back to top

Will my collector car insurance policy cover my auto memorabilia?

Many collector car owners are as avid about their auto memorabilia as they are about their cars, so our partner is happy to provide coverage for car-related ephemera. Annual coverage for car-related memorabilia, aka automobilia, starts at just $12 a year and comes with a $0 deductible.

Back to top

What items can automobilia coverage insure?

Your automobilia coverage can help you protect any historic or collectible item linked with motor vehicles, including:

  • Petroliana (gas pumps and station displays)
  • Model cars and other toys
  • License plates
  • Posters and signs
  • Paintings and prints
  • Hood ornaments
  • Automotive literature
  • Tractor memorabilia

You may also be able to cover:

  • Farm implements
  • Militaria (excluding guns)
  • Diner memorabilia (soda shop signs and diner displays)
  • Barbershop memorabilia (barber poles and signs)
Back to top

What does roadside assistance coverage include?

Our partner's roadside assistance program meets the unique needs of collector cars and their owners. If you experience a breakdown, you'll be able to call a dedicated dispatch center staffed by collector car experts. They'll get an experienced towing professional to you in no time. And all drivers use flatbed trucks to ensure the safest possible towing for your valuable vehicle.

Roadside assistance features 3 levels of coverage:

  • 10-mile plan pays:
    • The first 10 miles of towing or
    • $50 dollars of on-site service
  • 50-mile plan covers:
    • The first 50 miles of towing or
    • $100 of service
    • Trailers towing your collector vehicle
  • 125-mile plan covers:
    • The first 50 miles of towing or
    • The first $100 of service
    • Every car you own — not just the collectors

This service is available 24/7 anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. It is not a reimbursement service and cannot pay for towing service not provided through the dispatch center. You can upgrade your level of service anytime.

As an extra bonus for adding roadside assistance coverage, you'll be enrolled in the Historic Vehicle Association, a nonprofit organization that promotes the historic vehicle hobby and its devotees.

Back to top

Can I cover my tools and spare parts with my collector car insurance policy?

Absolutely. Your basic collector car insurance policy provides $750 of coverage for spare parts at no extra cost. You have the option of extending that coverage up to $5,000 and to protect parts for any collector vehicle — even ones covered by another insurer.

You can also buy coverage for automotive tools and accessories you use with your collector car, even if they are historical or collectible items you wouldn't dare use. When you customize your policy, you can select tools coverage limits from $1,500 to $10,000.

Back to top

What if I use my collector car as part of my business?

Many collectible car owners have realized the economic potential of their vehicles, so yes, business coverage is available. Though you can't cover all commercial uses, you can get business use coverage for:

  • Photo shoots
  • Movies or TV commercials
  • Small business promotions
  • Weddings

This option provides coverage for events lasting up to 72 hours and costs just 20 percent of your policy's premium.

Back to top

I travel to a lot of car shows and collector events. Is extra coverage available?

Driving your collector car constitutes one of its greatest joys, but if you roam far and wide in yours, you may want to add Traveling Collector coverage. It costs just $25 and adds:

  • Trip interruption coverage — provides as much as $1,500 to cover a rental car, pay for lost event expenses such as tickets, and lodging
  • Parts, tools, and personal belongings — adds $750 for spare parts, $750 for tools, and $250 for belongings
  • Accidental death coverage* — provides coverage of $10,000 per incident, $500 of which can cover a family pet

Best of all, there's no pre-trip notification requirement for this coverage. So you can pack up and hit the road knowing you're protected.

*This coverage isn't available in all states.

Back to top

I often take my collector car overseas. Will my policy cover me abroad?

No, but coverage under a separate policy can be easily arranged. Globetrotting collectors can purchase overseas shipping, international event attendance coverage, or visiting international collector coverage.

Overseas shipping insurance protects your car against physical damage and theft while it's shipped by air or sea. In the event of a covered total loss, you'll still receive your guaranteed value repayment.

International event attendance can provide necessary coverages when you're attending collector car events overseas. Whether you plan to tour European Union events or attend The Jewel That Is Jordan, you'll be ready to hit the roads in safety. You can tailor this coverage to suit the length of your trip and countries you plan to visit.

Visiting international collector coverage protects foreign collector-car enthusiasts while they're in the U.S. So if your Italian friend visits the U.S. for the Concours d'Elegance, he'll be able to receive guaranteed loss coverage, liability, and broad physical loss protection for up to 60 days.

Back to top


What benefits does Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) membership bring?

When you buy Hagerty Plus® roadside assistance coverage, you automatically become a member of the Historic Vehicle Association. HVA membership connects you with a nationwide network of collector car enthusiasts devoted to protecting historic vehicles and the rights of their owners. You'll also get an annual subscription to Hagerty magazine, a quarterly publication offering an insider's look at the world of vintage car collecting. Membership also grants you discounts from some of the best companies in the collector car industry, provides access to Hagerty's regular e-newsletter, and allows you to use the "Ask Hagerty" concierge service, which can provide in-depth answers to all your collector car-related questions.

Back to top

Is your craving for knowledge still unsatisfied? We know the feeling. Let us know what you're wondering about on our Facebook Wall or email partnerproducts@esurance.com. We'll get back to you soon.

This page is intended to provide you with general information about collector car insurance, and to help you understand the various kinds of coverage. It does not describe or refer to any specific policy or coverage. For information about your particular coverages, including limitations and exclusions, we encourage you to read your policy contract and consult your insurance representative with any questions.

Collector car insurance covers:

  • Antique, vintage, and classic vehicles
  • Newer vehicles: limited production, exotic, and special interest vehicles
  • Modified vehicles: street rods, replicas, kit cars, lowriders, and tuners
  • Muscle cars
  • Modern classics
  • Vehicle trailers and street rod trailers
  • Trucks and other utility vehicles
  • Retired commercial vehicles: fire trucks and other commercial vehicles
  • Motorcycles and scooters
  • Motorsports: pro-street and raced vehicles
  • Vehicles under restoration
  • Military vehicles
  • Tractors